Mold occurs naturally and plays a role in the decomposition of organic matter. In our living spaces, mold contributes to the discoloration of surfaces, damages materials, and causes health issues. Keep your home healthy and safe by getting rid of mold as soon as you notice it. Here are some common signs of mold in the home.
Health Issues Can Indicate Mold in the Home
If you or a family member suffers from frequent sneezing, itchy eyes, coughing, dry skin, or headaches, this could be a sign of mold, especially if the symptoms are worse when at home. Mold spores can cause respiratory problems and fatigue. Look for other signs of mold and order a mold test if you experience symptoms of mold exposure when you’re at home.
A Musty Smell
The musty, damp smell of mold is caused by the microbial volatile organic compounds (mVOCs) it emits. Some people describe this odor as earthy or as smelling like damp wood. If you notice a musty smell that persists even after thoroughly cleaning the space, you may have mold in your home. Check the area for other signs of mold. If the odor is noticeable throughout your house, mold could be growing in the air ducts.
Spots, streaks, or dark stains on materials in your home can be a sign of mold. Visible signs of mold often occur in damp areas, such as the bathroom, basement, and kitchen. You may also notice discoloration on the paint or wallpaper. Excess moisture could be caused by a plumbing leak or high humidity indoors.
Past Flooding Could Mean There is Mold in the Home
If your home has experienced plumbing leaks or flooding, you may have a mold problem. Building materials like drywall, wallpaper, and insulation become damp from flooding, leaks, and high humidity.
Mold needs moisture to thrive. If a damp area is not dried thoroughly, mold can begin to develop in as few as 24 hours. Signs of water damage include discolored areas, streaks on walls, dark spots on ceilings, and deteriorating building materials. Look for other signs of mold and hire a professional to test your home.