Why “Free” is NOT FREE…
Many inspection or remediation companies in this area offer “free” inspections or “low cost” sampling. This means they have a financial interest in finding mold and cause you to spend your money on expensive remediation. Only a government agency offers free health inspections. Doesn’t it make sense that any for-profit company who provides a “free” service must need to sell you something to survive?
Best Choice Inspection has no affiliation, and does not receive commissions from any mold remediation companies. We give you a fair, accurate, independent inspection or investigation. We come into your home or business with an open mind and have respect for your opinions. We are your personal consultant.
Why Do You Need a “Clearance” Test?
Mold spores are the primary part of a mold growth that causes health issues. They can only be seen through a microscope. Removing only the visible part of mold growth or just spraying the air and building surfaces with biocides does not entirely remove all the mold spores. To determine if the air you breath is clean, an unbiased Indoor Air Quality Professional (IAQP) should perform mold clearance tests to find out if all mold was removed during remediation.* Only an IAQP who is not associated with the mold remediation company should perform a clearance test. Using the same company as performing the remediation is like having a restaurant employee perform the health inspections as a substitute for a State Government health inspection. If you are not comfortable eating at such a restaurant, then why should you be comfortable with breathing air cleaned by a company having a conflict of interest in doing their own clearance tests?
Best Choice Inspections has no conflict of interest from both removing mold and testing for mold. We are an inspection company only, are unbiased, and use only nationally recommended methods to sample for mold spore contamination. We provide you a detailed report from a mold laboratory accredited by the American Indoor Health Association. You can feel safe knowing the true status of the remediation work.
* Finding excessive mold spores during a clearance test does not necessarily mean the remediator has performed poor quality work. Mold spores are microscopic and sometimes additional remediation is required to clean the air.
Does Spraying the Air With a Biocide/Antimicrobial Solve A Mold Problem?
Answer: Yes and No.
Yes, it helps if the source of the mold and its spores were already physically removed from surfaces during remediation. Afterwards, a fog or mist using a safe biocide can drop spores from the air that were not removded during surface cleaning. However, there are several problems with fogging or misting biocides into indoor air.
First, if there was no surface mold or mold spore removal done before misting/fogging, the biocide only treats the visible airborne spores in your building. What abiout mold that may be hidden behind a wall? Likewise, how do you know if the biocide/antimicrobial used will actually keep mold spores from reproducing?
Second, fogging and misting may not neutralize the allergens or toxins in the spores, which causes future health problems to you. Basically, a mold spore that is “dead” usually still contains harmful allergens, toxins, or asthma triggers. Some remediators are promoting “grapefruit seed extract” as the answer to mold allergen problems, without first removing the cause for the mold problem. Therefore in 6 months, mold may return again.
Third, biocides that are only sprayed or fogged biocides usually provide short term solutions. Other, less expensive methods can accomplish the same purpose, without you breathing yet another foreign indoor substance.
Best Choice Inspections can provide you a written, step-by-step plan for safely removing mold from your house and to keep it from returning. We give you a list of local, proven mold remediators who use cost effective and safe means to eliminate your mold problem. You also know our costs before we come to your home. Doesn’t it make sense to let us give you peace of mind and find a solution to your mold problem without a hidden agenda?
Radon is a cancer-causing, radioactive gas.
You can’t see radon. And you can’t smell it or taste it. But it may be a problem in your home.
Radon is estimated to cause many thousands of deaths each year. That’s because when you breathe air containing radon, you can get lung cancer. In fact, the Surgeon General has warned that radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer in the United States today. Only smoking causes more lung cancer deaths. If you smoke and your home has high radon levels, your risk of lung cancer is especially high.
For additional information on radon gas go to www.epa.gov/radon
RADON GETS IN THROUGH:
- Cracks in solid floors
- Construction joints
- Cracks in walls
- Gaps in suspended floors
- Gaps around service pipes
- Cavities inside walls
- The water supply
Radon gas decays into radioactive particles that can get trapped in your lungs when you breathe. As they break down further, these particles release small bursts of energy. This can damage lung tissue and lead to lung cancer over the course of your lifetime. Not everyone exposed to elevated levels of radon will develop lung cancer. And the amount of time between exposure and the onset of the disease may be many years. Like other environmental pollutants, there is some uncertainty about the magnitude of radon health risks. However, we know more about radon risks than risks from most other cancer-causing substances. This is because estimates of radon risks are based on studies of cancer in humans (underground miners).
Smoking combined with radon is an especially serious health risk. Stop smoking and lower your radon level to reduce your lung cancer risk.
Scientists are more certain about radon risks than from most other cancer-causing substances.
Children have been reported to have greater risk than adults of certain types of cancer from radiation, but there are currently no conclusive data on whether children are at greater risk than adults from radon.
During building air quality inspections we often find evidence of cats, dogs, mice, birds, and other animals who have been frequently present in a home even though the human occupants didn’t know it – either because the animal was the pet of a prior owner (chinchilla hair in photo below left at How to Test) or a nocturnal visitor to the food bins (mouse hair in photo below right at How to Test).