Radon is a radioactive gas that forms underground when uranium breaks down in the soil. It seeps upwards through the ground and into the home via cracks, holes, and openings in the foundation and exterior walls. Once trapped inside, the gas accumulates in the living spaces and can reach dangerous levels. Could radon in the home be a problem for your family? Here are a few things that you need to know.

Signs of Radon in the Home

Since it is odorless, colorless, and tasteless, you won’t be able to detect signs of radon gas in the home. The only way to know if radon is a problem is through a professional radon test. If your home has never been tested, hire a trained professional to provide you with the information you need to keep your family safe.

Why Testing is Important

One in every 15 homes has high levels of radon. Since you cannot see or smell it, testing is the only method of detection. Being exposed to harmful radon gas increases a person’s risk of lung cancer. In fact, it’s the second-leading cause of lung cancer in the United States after cigarette smoking. Often there are no health-related symptoms until a diagnosis of cancer, making early detection of the gas even more important.

How to Treat High Levels of Radon

If testing detects levels of radon in the home at 4 pCi/L or higher, you’ll need to hire someone for radon mitigation. Professionals have a range of options they can use to mitigate the problem and protect your family. Plastic sheeting, fans, and vent pipes are some of the solutions to mitigate high levels of radon gas in a home.

Best Choice Inspections offers home inspection services, including radon testing for your new home. If you’re buying a home in the Knoxville, TN area, contact us to schedule an appointment.